Open from 9am - 5pm, Mon to Fri |

5 min read.

The legal process involved in selling a home can be complicated and you will need to instruct one of our residential property team to act for you when you’re ready to start the transaction.

They will prepare the contracts, obtain the title deeds and reply to any enquires raised, but you can help the process run smoothly and speedily by gathering together the following documents, certificates and paperwork which we’ll need from you:

Proof of Identity– We will need proof of your address such as a bank statement or a utility bill which must not be more than 3 months old as well as a photo ID such as a copy of your driving licence or passport.

Property Title Deeds – The majority of properties are now registered at the Land Registry and we will request official copies of your title deeds. However, if your property is yet to be registered at the Land Registry or when you purchased the property you were provided with paper deeds please forward these to us. If you do not hold these they may be with your previous solicitors or held with your mortgage lender.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) – When a house sells, an EPC will need to be included. The EPC certificate shows assessments on the energy use and CO2 impact of the property. If you’re selling your house and don’t currently have an EPC certificate, you should be able to contact a qualified assessor through your estate agent.

Fittings and Contents form – If you’re selling, we will provide this form to you and it covers everything which you intend to leave or removed from the property on completion. This form breaks down the property on a room-by-room basis, and will specify any included item, such as appliances or curtains. This document forms part of the contract and it is important that you complete this form carefully.

Property Information Form – If you’re selling, we will provide this form to you and it will ask you for more detailed information about the property, who is responsible for boundary hedges and fences, building work you’ve done on the property, parking arrangements and where gas and water meters are located for example.

Documents referenced to in the Property Information Form – If you have confirmed you have had work carried out to the property or have been provided with any information and/or notices about the property you will need to provide copies to us.

These can also include:
FENSA Certificates for replacement windows or a Building Regulations sign off.

An electrical safety certificate for any replacement electrical work or rewiring carried out.

Replacement boiler – A CORGI or gas safe certificate should be provided with a new boiler and you should provide this documentation.

Service records – Your buyer may request copies of the latest service records for boilers and electrical works.

Alterations/extensions – If you have extended the exterior, altered the interior of your property or added a conservatory or decking and this work required planning permission or building regulation approval we will require copies of these documents.

If you have lost, or indeed if you never had paperwork that your buyer wants to see, our residential property team can advise you on the best course of action this may include obtaining retrospective consent or obtaining an one off indemnity insurance policy to protect against a certain risk.

The important steps
Signing documents – When we are in a position to discuss exchange and completion dates, we will invite you into the office to sign the contract and transfer deed.

Exchanging contracts – On every house sale two identical contracts are prepared and the seller signs one and the buyer signs the other. When both parties are ready to proceed contracts are exchanged, making both parties legally bound to proceed with the sale and purchase of the property. A deposit is exchanged at this point and the completion date is set.

If you have a mortgage over your property prior to exchanging contracts we will obtain a redemption statement from them and on the completion date we will arrange to redeem your mortgage in full.

Completion – On the completion date we will receive the purchase monies from the buyers solicitors. You will need to fully move out of the property on this day and provide the estate agents with the keys to the property. You should also remember to take final meter readings and provide these to your utility providers so that they can provide you with their final invoice. You should also arrange to cancel your building insurance for the property on the completion date.

And finally – don’t forget!
Let others know you’ve moved – Your bank, building society, insurance companies, credit card companies, Inland Revenue, DVLA, Council Tax office, DSS office, Electoral Roll, employer, doctor, dentist, etc. And don’t forget to let all your friends and family have your new address too. You can arrange for the Post Office to redirect your mail.

Contact our residential property team today to make an appointment and move one step closer to securing your dream home. Call 01538 399199.

Our Insights

Enquiry Form

Please fill in the form below and we will call you to discuss your needs.